Communication is a two way process where the message sent by the source should be understood in the same terms by the receiver. Business Communication is basically the sharing of the information among the employees and even with the vendors and clients. Business Communication is controlled by certain guidelines and standards. Previously, business communication has been limited to paper-work, telephone calls but now with advent of technology video conferencing, cell phones, satellite communication, emails etc. also support it. Experts like George Bardwil in the field of business communication say that effective communication is an integral part of an establishment. A communication should be free from barriers in order to be effective. An effective communication follows the seven principles which include:
- Courtesy: When communicating with an individual or group, one must promote courtesy by including friendliness and politeness in the approach.
- Conciseness: In order to achieve conciseness one should avoid repetition, include the related facts only and avoid long-winded expression.
- Completeness: Incomplete communication can annoy the recipient and it can also lead the receiver to misunderstand the message. So, a message should be organized in such a way that it has completeness of facts.
- Concreteness: In order to achieve concreteness one should use specific facts and figures and avoid irrelevant information.
- Clarity: In business communication, the clarity of thought and the clarity of expression are the two most significant things. Therefore, when communicating, select short, easy and crisp sentences and avoid using jargons.
- Consideration: In order to achieve consideration avoid using insensitive words and emphasize on positive, pleasant facts.
- Correctness: Incorrect message may lead the receiver misunderstand the message; therefore, it is important to check the message from grammatical and linguistic viewpoints and use nondiscriminatory words.
Professionals like George Bardwil point out that all these seven Cs play an important role in order to make the business communication effective.
In order to improve business communication, one should have proper purposes while writing a business letter or an email. It should cover the whole thing that can give data to the individuals in order to attain the purposes of correct and perfect business communication. In addition, the tone and level of correctness should be used that fits the objectives, and convey the thoughts straight and definitely. Apart from emails and letters meetings also play a vital role in business communication. In any organization, meetings are a vital part of the organization. They act as a device for collecting resources from many sources and combining then in the direction of a common objective. As with every other managed activity, meetings should be planned in advance, checked throughout for efficacy, and evaluated afterwards. A meeting is the ultimate form of business communication. One can organize the information and structure of the meeting to support the effective communication of the participants. Therefore, as specialists such as George Bardwil say that that in order to make the business communication effective all that is needed is skill, perfection and proficiency.
Thus, it can be concluded by stating that with the help of effective business communication, the company’s reputation can be build.